Personal Injury Lawyers in Kent, WA
At Park Chenaur & Associates in Kent, our experienced personal injury lawyers are proficient in a wide variety of injury-related practice areas.
Since 1999, our attorneys have had a proven track record of helping people injured in many types of accidents get the compensation they deserve, recovering millions of dollars for our clients.
The legal system can be complex when it comes to personal injury claims. We can make the process simpler for you in your time of need, regardless of the types of injury you have suffered.
Injured in an accident in Kent?
Whether you were injured in an auto accident, slip and fall incident, animal attack, medical malpractice case or another type of accident in the Kent area, our personal injury lawyers provide experienced and compassionate representation.
We have helped people with virtually every type of personal injury over the past two decades and more. Our attorneys are intimately familiar with the relevant laws, procedures, and processes associated with personal injury claims.
With our help, you can resolve your compensation claim efficiently and without the stress associated with dealing with insurance companies and legal issues.
What do personal injury lawyers do?
Personal injury lawyers specialize in seeking compensation for people injured in accidents where another party (or parties) was partly or wholly at fault. This is sometimes referred to as “tort law.”
Some typical examples we see in the Kent area include:
- Car and motorbike accidents
- Slip and fall injuries
- Medical malpractice claims
- Nursing home negligence
- Dog bite injuries
- Product malfunctions
This list shows how varied personal injury claims can be – and while physical injuries are the most visible, the psychological, emotional and economic effects of these injuries should not be underestimated.
The liable party can be anyone from another driver to the manufacturer of a product or a medical facility.
In short, any party that causes an accident through neglectful, reckless or malicious actions that result in an injury may be held liable for a personal injury claim.
Most people injured in such accidents require legal representation. The process of claiming compensation can be stressful and intimidating – especially if you are in the middle of your recovery from an injury.
A personal injury lawyer will handle all communications with the insurance company of the at-fault party and usually try to negotiate an out-of-court settlement for your losses. If that’s not possible, litigation may be pursued.
What can personal injury lawyers help you recover?
The high costs of medical care in the United States need no introduction. Any serious accident can cause mounting medical bills that can be difficult for a family to pay.
These costs can be recovered from the at-fault party, along with other material and non-material losses you have suffered, including:
- Future medical costs: if ongoing medical care is required
- Lost income: if you missed work as a result of your accident
- Future lost income: if your injuries will require time off work in the future
- Pain and suffering: damages for the physical and emotional effects of the accident
- Loss of quality of life: if your injuries have lowered your quality of life
- Property damage: if you have suffered damage to property, such as a motor vehicle
What do you need to prove in a personal injury claim?
Your personal injury lawyer will need to prove the following key elements of a personal injury claim:
- You were owed a legal duty of care
The at-fault party had a responsibility to keep you safe. Vehicle drivers, for example, have a duty of care to other road users and medical staff have a duty of care to patients.
- The duty of care was breached
If the duty of care is breached, such as a driver failing to exercise due care for other drivers, resulting in an accident, it can be deemed negligent behavior and the at-fault party held liable.
- The breach of duty caused your injuries
Your lawyer will need to show that your injuries were caused by the breach of duty, generally with the aid of medical reports and other evidence.
What are the most common types of personal injuries?
The most common type of accident causing personal injury is motor vehicle accidents. Typically, we see the following types of injuries resulting:
- Traumatic brain injuries: from concussion to injuries requiring permanent medical care.
- Facial injuries: scarring, disfiguration, long-term physical and emotional suffering.
- Spinal cord injuries: painful injuries requiring long-term treatment or even resulting in paralysis.
- Broken bones: usually temporary injuries that heal with appropriate medical care.
- Internal injuries: potentially very serious (always get thoroughly checked by a health professional after an accident).
- Amputation: may occur in a serious accident or be required medically.
- Sensory damage: problems with vision or hearing may require significant life changes.
- How do they charge? Most personal injury lawyers work on a contingency basis, taking a percentage of the compensation awarded to you without any upfront retainer.
- Are they fully qualified? In the United States, a personal injury attorney must have a bachelor’s degree, a Doctor of Jurisprudence degree from a law school, and pass the bar exam to be able to practice. Check that your lawyer is licensed to practice in Washington.
- Do they have verifiable reviews from past clients? This should be easy to check as most law firms have websites or directory presence (e.g. Avvo) with reviews.
- Does your lawyer have experience with the type of personal injuries that your case requires and a strong track record in winning substantial payouts?
- Do they offer a free case evaluation? This provides a risk-free way to discuss the details of your case, ask questions, check fees, and decide whether you are a good match.