Personal Injury Lawyers in Tacoma, WA
If you sustain an injury in Tacoma because of another party’s negligence, why should you have to pay the price?
At Park Chenaur & Associates in Tacoma, our experienced personal injury lawyers have been helping residents recover damages for a wide variety of accident-related injuries since 1999.
You are entitled to “just compensation” according to Washington law. Unfortunately, insurance companies tend to offer less-than-fair settlements and legal intervention is required to secure what you are due.
It can be difficult to navigate a personal injury claim alone. Our team is committed to fighting for your best interests in your time of need, regardless of the type of injury you have suffered.
Have you been injured in an accident in Tacoma?
Any type of accident can be life-altering for the victim – with pain and suffering, lost earnings, and mounting medical bills to contend with.
Over the past two decades and more, we have helped individuals injured in the following types of accidents in Tacoma:
- Car, motorbike and truck accidents
- Pedestrian accidents
- Slip and fall injuries
- Dog bite injuries
- Product malfunctions
- Nursing home/medical facility negligence
While the most common type of claim involves car accident injuries, this varied list can result in many different injuries. All have the potential to severely disrupt a person’s life – either temporarily or permanently.
We believe that you shouldn’t have to pay for someone else’s negligence or recklessness.
How can our personal injury lawyers help?
The experienced and compassionate advocacy you will receive from our personal injury attorneys allows you to focus on recovery from injury while we handle the paperwork and communications with the insurance company.
The claims process can be stressful and intimidating and it helps to have an experienced advocate looking after your interests.
Our lawyers in Tacoma are intimately familiar with tort law and the complex legal processes associated with personal injury claims, making the claims procedure as quick and rewarding as possible for victims.
We will assess your case based on our experience of similar cases in Washington, with the aim of maximizing your claim against the liable party – be it another driver, a product manufacturer or a medical facility.
While physical injuries are the most visible, the psychological, emotional and economic consequences must be considered too.
We will hold the at-fault party responsible for any damages caused and attempt to negotiate an out-of-court settlement. If no settlement is possible, we can pursue litigation on your behalf.
Any party that causes you injury through neglectful, reckless or malicious actions should be held liable to the full extent allowed by Washington law.
What losses can a personal injury lawyer recover?
Under Washington law, you can claim “just compensation” for your losses if you are injured as a result of another party’s actions.
To start with, any medical treatment in Tacoma is likely to result in substantial bills. Costs for emergency treatment in hospital, diagnosis, surgery, physical therapy, medication, rehabilitation, and follow-up care all mount up quickly.
In many cases, this is only the start of a personal injury claim. In addition to present and future medical costs, our lawyers will consider claiming compensation for the following:
- Lost income: salary, wages, tips, bonuses, etc. if you have had to miss work
- Future lost income: if your injuries will require time off work in the future
- Pain and suffering: damages for the physical and psychological effects of your injury
- Loss of quality of life: if your injuries have reduced your quality of life or resulted in “loss of consortium”
- Property damage: if you have suffered damage to a car, motorbike, or other property
What will we need to prove in your personal injury claim?
Generally speaking, the three key elements of a personal injury claim that require proof are:
- You were owed a legal duty of care
The at-fault party had a responsibility to keep you safe. Vehicle drivers, for example, have a duty of care to other road users and medical staff have a duty of care to patients.
- The duty of care was breached
If the duty of care is breached, such as a driver failing to exercise due care for other drivers, resulting in an accident, it can be deemed negligent behavior and the at-fault party held liable.
- The breach of duty caused your injuries
Your lawyer will need to show that your injuries were caused by the breach of duty, generally with the aid of medical reports and other evidence.
Typical personal injury types in Tacoma
The victims whom we represent in Tacoma most commonly suffer from the following types of injuries:
- Broken bones: usually temporary injuries that heal with appropriate medical care but which can be highly restrictive.
- Traumatic brain injuries: from a mild concussion to injuries requiring permanent medical care.
- Spinal cord injuries: painful injuries requiring long-term treatment or even resulting in paralysis.
- Facial injuries: scarring, disfiguration, long-term physical and emotional suffering.
- Amputation: may occur in a serious accident or be required medically.
- Sensory damage: problems with vision or hearing may require significant life changes.
Note that many injuries are not immediately visible. It is important to always get a thorough medical checkup after an accident.
Physical injuries are only part of the story. The psychological and emotional effects of an accident should not be underestimated.
Questions to ask a personal injury attorney before hiring
Choosing a personal injury attorney should never be hurried. While there may be some urgency to commence the claims process, your choice of attorney can greatly affect the amount of compensation you receive.
Here are some of the main questions to ask a personal injury lawyer before hiring:
- Can you show me your qualifications?
- Are you licensed to practice in Washington?
- Can you show me verifiable reviews from past clients?
- Do you have experience with my type of personal injury?
- What is your track record with securing payouts?
- Do you offer a free case evaluation?
- How do you charge? On a contingency basis?
Your lawyer will need to manage the legal processes and communications with the insurance company, so they should be appropriately qualified and experienced, as well as being affordable.
What if you were partly at fault for your accident?
Washington state’s “comparative fault” laws mean that if you were 25 percent at fault for an accident, the other party or parties can be held liable for the remaining 75 percent of the fault.
So, effectively, you can sue a negligent party for their proportion of the fault even if you too were negligent.
Is there a deadline for personal injury claims in Tacoma?
You must claim for a personal injury within three years of the date of your accident or injury.
This is the statute of limitations set in Washington and, after this date, your claim is unlikely to be heard.
Get your personal injury claim right from the start
It is best to proceed as soon as you can if you have been injured in an accident in Tacoma. Mistakes at the beginning of the claim process can be costly.
Start with a free consultation by calling (253) 839-9440 today. We work on a contingency basis and only get paid if you win compensation.