Wrongful Death Lawyer in Tacoma, WA
If your family member died because of someone else’s negligence, it’s important to talk to a wrongful death lawyer in Tacoma, WA. You and your family may be entitled to compensation. A lawyer can help you file a claim and answer all your questions.
Common Mistakes to Avoid in a Wrongful Death Claim
Losing someone you love is awful in any circumstances. If the death is due to another person’s carelessness, it can cause even more pain. However, you shouldn’t allow your anger and sadness to cloud your judgment and cause you to make costly mistakes in your claim. Here are some common mistakes you should avoid.
- Accepting the insurance company’s first offer. If your family member was killed on account of another person’s negligence, the negligent party’s insurance company may contact you and offer a settlement. While it may be tempting to accept compensation right away, you should avoid doing so. The insurance company’s initial settlement offer likely won’t cover all of the expenses that resulted from the death.
- Arguing with your family members. When a loved one is unjustly killed, it’s understandable that there is a lot of grief and tension among your family members. However, that doesn’t mean that you should have fights with your family. Arguing back and forth will just make the entire situation even more stressful. Try to listen to what everyone has to say and work together during this difficult time.
- Not looking into other liable parties. There may be more than one responsible party for your family member’s death. It’s important for you and your wrongful death lawyer in Tacoma, WA to consider additional parties that may have contributed to the death, such as a parent company or partnering organization.
- Thinking you have no deadline for filing a claim. After the death of a loved one, you of course need time to properly grieve. However, you shouldn’t wait too long to file a wrongful death claim. In Washington, you have three years to file a claim. After that deadline has passed, you won’t be eligible for compensation anymore.
- Failing to hire a wrongful death lawyer. It’s not advisable to pursue a wrongful death claim without a lawyer. These claims involve a lot of complexities, so you want to have someone knowledgeable and experienced on your side. A wrongful death lawyer will help you gather the evidence you need and improve your chances of getting a fair settlement.
Schedule a consultation with a wrongful death lawyer in Tacoma, WA at Park Chenaur & Associates today.