Workers Comp Injury Lawyers in Federal Way

Accidents and injuries are part of life but when they are avoidable and happen in the workplace through no fault of your own, you should not have to pay the often-harsh consequences.

Thousands of injuries occur at work every year in Washington. Many of these are severe injuries that affect not only immediate earnings and wellbeing but future livelihoods too. 

If an accident is due to the negligent, careless, or malicious acts of another party in the workplace, you should be compensated in full for it.

Washington state law allows you to claim compensation for workplace injuries even if you cannot sue your employer directly. However, many claims get knocked back.

If you have been injured at work in Federal Way, speak to the Federal Way personal injury lawyers at Park Chenaur & Associates to ensure you receive the maximum compensation you are entitled to.

What are typical examples of workplace injuries in Federal Way? 

When most people think of workplace accidents, they imagine falls or accidents from operating machinery of some kind.

These are historically two of the most common reasons for workplace injuries in Federal Way. The following types of injuries result: 

In the modern workplace, even office workers can suffer workplace injury such as carpal tunnel syndrome from performing repetitive administrative tasks.

Workplace injury claims extend beyond physical accidents and can be a result of other health problems suffered as a result of poor conditions in the workplace. Some common examples of health conditions include:

  • Respiratory diseases such as COPD and asthma
  • Digestive system disorders 
  • Cardiovascular problems such as heart disease 
  • Cancer due to hazardous material exposure
  • Nervous system problems such as seizures
  • Depression, phobia or PTSD due to trauma or workplace conditions
  • Psychological and mental problems 

How can you claim for workplace injury in Washington? 

Around two-thirds of employees in Washington are covered by the state’s industrial insurance system. This was introduced after the Workers’ Compensation Act came into being in 1911 and is overseen by the Department of Labor and Industries or “L&I” as it is more popularly known.

Your employer may pay into this system by deducting a portion of the premium from your wages. This covers you for lost wages, medical expenses and other related expenses in the event of an on-the-job injury.

According to Washington law, injured workers cannot sue a negligent employer regardless of their level of fault and must, instead, recover losses through L&I.

In some instances, you can pursue a third-party claim against another negligent party if you were injured while working. For instance, if you were driving a company vehicle and had an accident resulting from the negligence of another driver, you can sue the other driver.

L&I insurance vs state-approved insurer

If your employer does not pay into the state scheme, employee coverage must still be in place under a self-insured system.

Your employer must select an L&I-approved insurer that meets certain financial criteria. Self-insured businesses then administer their workers’ compensation plans themselves or outsource to a benefits administrator. 

If your employer is self-insured, you are entitled to the same benefits as with state-funded insurance. 

However, your claim may be processed by a large insurer – often with aggressive loss adjusters working to limit their company’s losses.

We are familiar with the strategies used by administrators and representatives of large insurance companies, who work to limit compensation payouts. We will fight to ensure you get what you are entitled to.

What should be included in your workplace accident claim?

You may be able to claim for the following losses if you are injured at work or suffer a medical condition due to your working environment and can produce the necessary medical evidence:

  • Payment of medical bills
  • Costs of rehabilitation
  • Costs of prescription medication
  • Wage replacement (generally 60 to 75 percent of your wages up to the maximum)
  • Travel reimbursement (if your physician is over 15 miles away)
  • Property reimbursement (for property lost or damaged during the accident)
  • Permanent partial disability
  • Pension payments for permanent total disability 

There are several different ways to structure payments to you according to your situation and the level of expense incurred by your workplace injury. 

It helps to have legal assistance to negotiate these terms while you focus on your recovery.

Do you need help with a workplace accident claim?

There is a lot at stake when you suffer a workplace injury. Apart from recovering from the injury you have suffered, you may be concerned about receiving worker’s compensation to cover bills, wages, and other expenses. 

If you do not get paid what you are due, it can cause financial hardship. According to the Department of Labor and Industries, around 20 percent of workers’ compensation claims in Washington state are invalidated or rejected. 

Speak to one of the workplace accident attorneys at Park Chenaur in Federal Way for advice on your legal options.

Start with a free and confidential consultation today.

Park Chenaur- Federal Way Office

2505 S 320th Suite 100

Federal Way, WA 98003

Phone: 253-839-9440