Has your loved one suffered injuries or illnesses due to the negligent care they received in a nursing home? Many families in Tacoma trust nursing homes to look after their loved ones in their final years when their health is vulnerable.
Unfortunately, some nursing homes violate this trust when management and staff negligently discharge their duties. If your loved one has experienced harm because of careless nursing home employees, you and your family deserve to pursue compensation and accountability for your loved one.
A Tacoma nursing home negligence lawyer from Park Chenaur and Associates can demand justice for you.
Since our firm’s founding in 1999, our attorneys have worked hard to build a reputation as lawyers that clients can trust. We take an empathetic approach to client service, combined with aggressive legal advocacy.
When taking on corporations and insurers, you need lawyers with the knowledge and resources to fight for your loved one’s rights. With our firm, you’ll benefit from our team of attorneys with decades of legal experience, an exceptional support staff, and experts who can help you maximize your family’s compensation.
Contact Park Chenaur and Associates for a free case evaluation to learn more about your family’s legal options from a knowledgeable Tacoma nursing home negligence lawyer. Let our firm hold those at fault for your loved one’s suffering accountable for their wrongdoings. We have offices in Tacoma and Federal Way for your convenience.
Why Choose Park Chenaur and Associates for Help After My Loved One Suffered Harm Due to Nursing Home Negligence?
When your family needs legal representation to demand accountability and justice for the harm your loved one suffered due to nursing home negligence, you may find many law firms to choose from for your case. Why choose Park Chenaur and Associates?
For years, injury victims and their families have turned to our firm because of our:
- Responsive communication. You deserve lawyers who will promptly respond whenever you have questions, need an update on your case, or need help protecting your loved one’s rights and interests. You can expect to promptly receive the information you need whenever you call us about your nursing home negligence case.
- Caring approach. We understand the grief and stress you may experience after a loved one’s injury from nursing home abuse or neglect. That’s why we will work hard to protect your loved one’s health and safety. Our compassionate attorneys and staff can help relieve your anxiety and stress by handling every detail of your case efficiently and effectively so that you and your family can focus on what matters.
- Dedicated advocacy. When your loved one has suffered harm from negligent nursing home staff, your family needs legal representation that will fight hard to obtain the justice and financial relief your loved one and your family deserves. Our attorneys will aggressively pursue maximum compensation for you, whether you settle your family’s case or go to trial.
- Proven reputation. Our firm enjoys a positive reputation among our clients and the Tacoma community. Many of our past clients refer their family members and friends to us. Our reviews on social media platforms and websites such as Avvo reflect our dedication to achieving maximum results and our success in handling our cases. You can expect our legal team to work hard in pursuit of the best outcome in your case.
- Affordability. Your family may have significant financial strain from treating your loved one’s injuries or moving them to a new nursing home. We don’t want to add to your burdens. Park Chenaur and Associates offers free no-obligation consultations to learn more about your legal rights and decide whether to hire our firm. Once you hire us, your family will owe no fees or costs unless we win a settlement or verdict in your family’s nursing home negligence case.
What Compensation Can Your Family Recover in a Tacoma Nursing Home Negligence Claim?
If your loved one has suffered injuries or medical complications due to nursing home negligence, your family could pursue compensation for your loved one’s and your family’s losses, including:
- Costs of medical treatment and rehabilitation of injuries or illnesses, including hospitalizations, surgeries, doctor’s visits, prescriptions, medical equipment, or physical therapy
- Costs of relocating your loved one to a new nursing home facility or costs of in-home nursing care if you temporarily bring your loved one home to live with you
- Physical pain and emotional suffering your loved one has experienced
- Reduction of your loved one’s quality of life, including from physical disabilities, permanent scarring/disfigurement, or reduced life expectancy
If your loved one passed away due to nursing home negligence, your family could seek financial relief for:
- Medical expenses incurred to treat your loved one’s final injury or illness
- Reasonable funeral and burial expenses
- Loss of your loved one’s love, affection, companionship, and guidance
Nursing Home Negligence Claims in Tacoma
Washington State law allows nursing home negligence victims and their families to seek financial compensation and other relief. Families can report incidents of nursing home negligence to the Washington State Department of Social and Health Services, which offers an online form and a hotline to report suspected abuse. Families can also contact the Washington State Long-Term Care Ombudsman for help with nursing home negligence cases.
Nursing Home Negligence Statistics
Abuse and neglect of older adults occur far too frequently in Washington state. The Washington State Department of Social and Health Services received over 65,000 reports of vulnerable adult abandonment, abuse, neglect, financial exploitation, and self-neglect in one recent year.
The Statute of Limitations on Nursing Home Negligence Lawsuits
Under Washington state’s statute of limitations, your family must file a lawsuit three years from the date of your loved one’s injury from nursing home negligence. Once the statutory deadline has passed, you lose the right to pursue compensation in civil court.
Because injuries suffered by nursing home residents can go undetected for weeks or months, you should contact a Tacoma nursing home negligence lawyer from Park Chenaur and Associates immediately so your family does not lose the opportunity to take legal action against those responsible for your loved one’s injury.
How Do You Prove Liability for Nursing Home Negligence?
Various parties may have liability for the harm your loved one suffers in a nursing home.
Potential parties in a nursing home negligence case may include:
- The nursing home owner
- The nursing home’s managers or supervisors
- Nursing home staff members
- Third-party contractors in the nursing home, such as food services providers
Your attorney must gather evidence to prove liability for your loved one’s injury.
Evidence that lawyers use in nursing home negligence cases include:
- Eyewitness testimony
- Accident/incident reports
- Staffing records
- Surveillance footage
- Medical records
- Police reports
- Expert testimony
About Nursing Home Negligence
Nursing home negligence usually occurs due to systemic problems in the nursing home’s operations that make staff errors more likely to occur. Staff negligence can lead to a resident suffering injuries or medical conditions.
Nursing home negligence may result in:
- Elder abuse, including physical abuse, emotional/mental abuse, or sexual abuse
- Financial exploitation
- Elder neglect, including the failure to provide medical care or other support necessary to maintain a resident’s health and safety
- Self-neglect, or failing to intervene when a resident stops caring for themselves, such as failing to eat or maintain hygiene
Common Causes of Nursing Home Negligence
Some of the common causes of nursing home negligence include:
- Inadequate staffing levels
- Inexperienced or poorly trained staff
- Staff fatigue and stress from overworking
- Alcohol or drug intoxication on the job
- Inadequate supervision of staff
- Inadequate protocols to protect resident health and safety or failure to enforce such protocols
- Facility mismanagement or underfunding
- Intentional misconduct by staff members
- Inadequate facility maintenance
Injuries Caused by Nursing Home Negligence
Nursing home negligence can cause residents to suffer severe injuries and health conditions, such as:
- Broken bones
- Soft tissue injuries
- Spinal cord injuries and paralysis
- Skin injuries, including lacerations, abrasions, or burns
- Traumatic brain injuries
- Pressure ulcers/bed sores
- Amputation/limb loss
- Infections from inadequate hygiene
- Untreated medical conditions due to failure to administer medication
- Infectious diseases such as influenza, COVID-19, or STDs
- Mental illnesses
Get the Legal Help You Need to Demand Accountability From Nursing Home Operators and Insurance Companies
Nursing home operators and insurance companies will fight hard to avoid liability to your loved one and family for the harm and loss you have suffered. Nursing home management may conceal, alter, or destroy evidence of negligence, while staff members may try to hide a resident’s injuries from their loved ones.
Adjusters from the nursing home’s insurance company will aggressively minimize the severity of your loved one’s injuries and losses to reduce your family’s financial recovery. Adjusters will comb through your loved one’s medical history to find any evidence indicating that your loved one’s injuries or illnesses occurred due to pre-existing health conditions. Insurers may also use your loved one’s advanced age to downplay the need for substantial compensation.
If you try to fight the nursing home’s management and their insurers on your own, you may recover far less compensation than your loved one deserves.
Let a Tacoma nursing home negligence lawyer from Park Chenaur and Associates advocate for your loved one and your family.
While you focus on helping your loved one recover from injury or illness or while your family grieves for your loved one after their avoidable death, the attorneys of Park Chenaur and Associates will take care of the details of your family’s claims, including:
- Investigating the facts and circumstances behind your loved one’s injuries or illness to secure evidence of nursing home negligence
- Identifying the individuals responsible for your loved one’s harm along with the parties you can hold liable to compensate your family
- Documenting your loved one’s injuries and the expenses and losses your family has incurred
- Working with medical and financial experts to build a robust and persuasive case for your loved one’s and family’s right to compensation
- Negotiating with the nursing home company’s representatives and insurance adjusters to reach a fair and full settlement of your family’s case
- Advocating for your loved one’s and your family’s rights in court and at trial when necessary to hold the nursing home accountable for negligent care
What Steps Should You Take if Your Loved One Has Suffered Harm or Injury Due To Nursing Home Negligence?
If you believe a nursing home neglected your loved one, you and your family can protect your loved one’s safety and legal rights if you:
- Report the nursing home’s neglect to the state Department of Social and Health Services or the Long-Term Care Ombudsman
- Make sure your loved one gets the medical treatment they need for injuries or illnesses they have suffered
- Move your loved one to a new nursing home or long-term care facility if their current nursing home has failed to address the circumstances that caused your loved one’s injury
- Keep copies of bills, invoices, and receipts of expenses, including medical care or the costs of moving your loved one to a new facility
- Avoid discussing your family’s case on social media
- Call Park Chenaur and Associates’ Tacoma nursing home negligence lawyers
Finally, contact a Tacoma nursing home negligence lawyer at Park Chenaur and Associates as soon as possible to get help preparing and pursuing legal claims for your loved one.
Contact Park Chenaur and Associates for a Free Case Evaluation To Learn How a Tacoma Nursing Home Negligence Lawyer Can Help Your Family Pursue Justice
When your loved one has suffered harm or fatal injuries or illnesses due to nursing home negligence, your family has legal options for protecting your loved one’s safety and recovering compensation.
A Tacoma personal injury lawyer from Park Chenaur and Associates can help your family pursue accountability and justice from those responsible for your loved one’s suffering. Call our firm today at (253) 345-2555 or fill out our contact form for a free initial consultation to discuss your loved one’s and family’s case with our experienced legal team.
“Very good service. Our attorney Kimberly Yoon and her assistant Shelby listened to our needs and handled our case exceptionally well! Very pleased with their work ethic and would 100% recommend” – Josh K. ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Read more of our Google reviews!
Park Chenaur- Tacoma Office
3517 6th Avenue
Tacoma, WA 98406
Phone: (253) 345-2555